Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Experimenting with a spinning composter.......

Ok, so going "Green" seems to be the "IN" thing to do now.  Most of it is meaningless to me and not cost effective.  Composting though has gotten my interest.  My parents used to compost back when it wasn't the "cool" thing to do back in the late 70s and 80s when we had that big giant garden we had.  It's also a learning experience for the kids....that's always a plus!

So, I started researching composting and found some interesting methods.  You can have the open piles of compost and rotate from one pile to the next depending on the degree of rot, but I figured my neighbors might not appreciate that too much - ick!  While researching though I found this cool spinning composter on YouTube.  I showed it to Chris and he made one.  It's pretty cool!  Here are some pics.

Here is a picture of the completed project:



This shows you the door that was cut and the hinges.  You have to have 3 hinges or the door comes open when you spin the composter to mix up the contents.


Here you see the setup of the legs that my husband came up with.



Here is the spinner that he designed based on items he found at Lowe's Home Improvement.


No comments: